30 Florida Agencies to get HUD Home Counseling Funds
While $479,394 is earmarked for 30 Florida agencies, it represents only about 1.4 percent of the total amount.
WASHINGTON – April 16, 2015 – The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) awarded more than $36 million in grants to hundreds of national, regional and local organizations to help families and individuals with their housing needs. While $479,394 is earmarked for 30 Florida agencies, it represents only about 1.4 percent of the total amount.
A number of states will receive amounts greater than $1 million, including California ($1.8 million), the District of Columbia ($7 million), Georgia ($1.8 million), Maryland ($1.3 million), Massachusetts ($2.3 million), Michigan ($1.5 million), Minnesota ($3.3 million), New York ($2.2 million), North Carolina ($1 million), Pennsylvania ($1.9 million) and Texas ($2.1 million).
Of the total $36 million HUD grants, $2 million will be used to create training grant programs under three national organizations based in Washington, D.C.
More than $34 million will directly support the housing counseling services provided by 29 national and regional organizations, six multi-state organizations, 20 State Housing Finance Agencies (SHFAs) and 215 local housing counseling agencies.
HUD says it's also creating a new Housing Counseling Federal Advisory Committee to help the Department give consumers the information they need to find and sustain decent housing. The Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act of 2010 requires HUD to appoint up to 12 individuals from various backgrounds to offer advice regarding the functions of the Office of Housing Counseling.
"Access to knowledge and information is vital to every family's success," says HUD Secretary Julián Castro. "These grants will expand housing opportunities for families across our nation."
To find a HUD-approved housing counseling agency, visit HUD's website or call (800) 569-4287 for the interactive telephone directory. In addition, there's a free housing counseling iPhone app from the app store, though it's not yet available for android.
Florida Cities and Organizations Receiving HUD Counseling Grants
- Davie: Adopt A Hurricane Family, Inc. dba Crisis Housing Solutions, $13,624
- Fort Myers: Affordable Homeownership Foundation, Inc., $16,484
- Jacksonville: Black Bottom/Springfield Human Development Corporation, dba St. Joseph Homeownership, $12,100
- Clearwater: Bright Community Trust Inc., $11,165
- Lauderdale Lakes: Broward County Housing Authority, $15,407
- Pensacola: CCCS Of West Fla. – Main Office, $23,852
- Winter Park: Center For Independent Living In Central Florida Inc., $10,791
- Orlando: Centro De Ayuda Para Los Hispanos Inc., $14,603
- Pensacola: Community Enterprise Investments, Incorporated, $12,100
- Melbourne: Community Housing Initiative Inc., $11,762
- Port Charlotte: Comprehensive Housing Resources Inc., $13,107
- Plantation: Consolidated Credit Solutions Inc., $27,287
- West Palm Beach: Credit Card Management Services Inc. dba DebtHelper.Com, $75,215
- Plantation: Dream Home Organization Inc., $12,395
- Jacksonville: Habitat For Humanity Of Jacksonville Inc., $11,539
- Apopka: Homes In Partnership Inc., $12,287
- Naples: Housing Development Corporation Of SW Florida Inc., $12,056
- Jacksonville: Jacksonville Area Legal Aid Inc., $12,920
- Fort Myers: Lee County Housing Development Corporation, $14,380
- Bradenton: Manatee Community Action Agency Inc. F/K/A Manatee Opportunity Council Incorporated, $12,474
- Daytona Beach: Mid-Florida Housing Partnership Inc., $14,006
- Ocala: Ocala Housing Authority, $20,118
- Opa Locka: Opa-Locka Community Development Corporation, $11,726
- Tampa: Solita's House Inc., $14,006
- St. Augustine: St. Johns Housing Partnership Inc., $11,913
- Tallahassee: Tallahassee Urban League Inc., $14,006
- Clearwater: Tampa Bay Community Development Corporation, $12,216
- Lake Alfred: The Agriculture And Labor Program Inc., $11,878
- Vero Beach: Treasure Coast Homeless Services Council Inc., $12,848
- West Palm Beach: West Palm Beach Housing Authority. $11,129
Florida total: $479,394
© 2015 Florida Realtors® All rights reserved. Reprinted with permission
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!