During April, the FL Dept of Agriculture and Consumer Services received 3,672 complaints, initiated 351 investigations, arrested 11 individuals and recovered $310,183.
PALM COAST, FL – May 6, 2015 – Florida Commissioner of Agriculture Adam H. Putnam yesterday issued a statement reminding consumers to research moving companies before signing contracts.
"Consumers should … understand the contract before signing with a moving company so they're fully aware of all terms and conditions, including what to do if an item is broken or lost," said Putnam.
- Get at least three estimates from different moving companies
- Check and make sure the company is registered as a mover with the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services
- Get referrals from trusted friends or family, and check reviews online for other customers' experiences
- Read the entire contract and ask questions about any unclear part
- Check your homeowners or renters insurance policy to see if anything damaged or lost during the move would be covered
The Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services is the state's clearinghouse for consumer complaints, protection and information. The call center is staffed with trained analysts who can respond to questions about programs and regulations under the department's purview, provide information on a wide variety of topics or direct callers to the appropriate government agency.
During the month of April, the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services:
- Received 3,672 complaints
- Initiated 351 investigations
- Arrested 11 individuals
- Provided assistance to 33,565 consumers through the 1-800-HELP-FLA hotline, online chats and emails
- Recovered $310,183 on behalf of Florida consumers
- Added 13,896 telephone numbers to Florida's Do Not Call List. Currently, there are more than 790,000 numbers on the list
Consumers who believe fraud has taken place can contact the department's consumer protection and information hotline at 1-800-HELP-FLA (435-7352) or, for Spanish speakers, 1- 800-FL-AYUDA (352-9832).
© 2015 Florida Realtors® All rights reserved. Reprinted with permission.